The Auto Sunday is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Are you looking for the best roof racks to get for your vehicle?
Look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the top 10 roof racks for your vehicle!
These roof racks are aftermarket parts that you can add to your vehicle to expand the cargo capacity. Thule, Yakima, and CURT are the current leaders in this industry. But we’re going to look at other brands as well that can match the quality of these top roof racks in the market today.
Related Article: Are Pickup Trucks Practical? Real World Pros And Cons
Why Install A Roof Rack?
Installing a roof rack on your vehicle is an effective way to increase the cargo capabilities of your vehicle. Whether you have an oversized off-roader or a small sedan, the addition of a roof rack is going to double your ability to haul stuff.
Here are the other benefits of adding a roof rack on top of your car:
- You can bring along large sporting equipment like bikes, kayaks, skis, and surfboards.
- Even though you’re bringing a lot of stuff with you, you can still access your trunk.
- There’s an added security, as you can lock everything in while in transit.
- You can attach cargo boxes, luggage carriers, and other storage equipment on top of your roof.
- You have the option to uninstall it when it’s not in use.
- Perfect for all seasons.
How To Choose The Best Roof Rack?
Ok, so how will you choose the best roof rack for your car? Obviously, you’ll need a roof rack that is compatible with your car. Since roof racks cost a considerable amount of money, you’ll want to ensure that the one you get is worth the investment.
You’ll also want to make sure it lasts long so that you can recoup the money you used to buy it after a couple of uses.
So, here are things you need to consider before buying one:
You need a roof rack that fits your vehicle. There’s no sense in buying one that won’t serve its purpose because it’s too small or too big for your car. It’s just common sense. The good thing is, there are a lot of roof racks that you can choose from in the market today.
Ease Of Installation
The best roof racks are the ones you can easily install when you need it and take off when you don’t. So, what you’re looking for is one that’s light enough for you to lift but durable enough for all types of situations.
A twist of a knob is enough to secure most roof racks atop cars. So, look for that feature when you’re buying a roof rack.
Roof racks increase your vehicle’s height. This is something you have to consider, especially if you’re concerned about overhead clearance. You don’t want to rip your car’s roof off accidentally when you drive your vehicle into your garage and hit a low hanging point in the structure.
Related Article: The Essential SUV Dimensions You Need To Know
Your roof rack, no matter how light it is, is still going to add to the overall weight of your vehicle. This affects your vehicle’s efficiency and mileage. Adding more cargo to the roof rack will make your car even heavier.
Make sure you get a lightweight roof rack that can also handle a lot of weight within the limits of your car’s ability to haul stuff.
Related Article: Are Heavier Cars Better In Rain And Snow?
Roof racks come in all shapes and sizes. Pick one that’s appropriate for your vehicle and the overall look you’re going after.
Make sure it is also shaped well enough to handle the regular load you’ll place on top of it.
Roof racks are meant to help you store your stuff securely atop your car. Make sure it has enough space for everything you’re bringing along.
You’ll also want to make sure that your roof rack is easy to store when it’s not in use.
Now Here’s The List Of The Top 10 Racks You’d Want To Install:
MaxxHaul Steel Roof Rack
We’ll start this list with one of the very best roof racks in the market today. The MaxxHaul Steel Roof Rack is one of the most popular roof racks out there because of its construction quality, durability, and usefulness.
- Instant cargo space for vehicle with cross bars
- Easy to assemble and install (assembly and mounting hardware are included)
- Attaches to most cross bars with easy to use U-bolts for simple installation
- Includes rubber caps to cover the U-bolts and protect the cargo
- Rust resistant finish to resist corrosion
This helped the brand capture a big share of the market because of the great reviews it has received from users who’ve bought and used the product.
Tyger Heavy Duty Roof Rack
The Tyger Heavy Duty Roof Rack may seem new to the market, but it has been around for a couple of years now. It has managed to hold its own against mainstays in the industry like Thule, Yakima, CURT, and MaxxHaul thanks to its construction quality.
- Frame Dimension: L47.25" x W36.6" x H5.9"
- Stylish design makes your vehicle stand out on the road! Mounts to any existing vehicle roof rail...
- Heavy duty 1 inch steel frame tube with black E-Coating for rust resistance and provides many...
- Easy two-piece assembly. All mounting hardware included.(Your vehicle must have roof rails and cross...
- TYGER 3 years no-hassle quality warranty against factory defect. Must be removed before auto...
True to its name, the Tyger Heavy Duty Roof Rack is a beast of a roof rack that you really should check out and get if it fits your vehicle.
Rhino-Rack Roof Mount Cargo Basket
Another roof rack with a formidable beast attached to its name. Like its namesake, it’s durable, it’s strong, and it can take a lot of abuse on the road.
It’s definitely something you’d want to check out and add to your vehicle to increase its cargo-hauling ability.
- Rhino-Rack Regular Cargo Basket, Universal Mounting to most Roof Racks with easy installation....
- Easy assembly with 2 piece construction;
- External dimensions of 1, 200mm (47 inch) x 900mm (35 inch) x 200mm (8 inch)
- Heavy duty, high-quality, steel construction with a durable black powder coating helps protect...
- Dynamic load rating 75kg/165lbs
Is it good? A lot of Rhino-Rack users seem to say “Yes”.
Should you try it?
N-Fab Modular Roof Rack System
The N-Fab Roof rack is highly adaptable for all types of situations.
If you need something low-profile for regular commutes on paved roofs, the slim basic profile of the N-Fab Modular Roof Rack should be enough to cover your basic needs. If you need something for untamed territory, all of the attachment points on this roof rack will keep your cargo secure.
- Direct bolt on design no drilling necessary mounts to factory rails
- Full aluminum construction for durability
- Holds up to 150lbs
Need more lights? Screw some on, as there are a lot of attachment points to do that. You can also attach rack mounts, cameras, emergency equipment, and others, making this rack a highly versatile piece of equipment you can easily install atop your vehicle.
If a roof rack could be a sport, it would be the ROLA V-Tex. The low, sleek profile makes it aerodynamic. Add a sloping front grill with a V-shaped wind deflector and you’ll slice through the wind more efficiently. Top it off with rounded edges and you have a roof rack that won’t affect your mileage due to drag.
- Sporty 2 piece construction. Rough-coat finish protects against the elements and resists scratches
- Mounts to round, square and most factory OEM racks. Adjustable brackets fit most cross bars....
- Assembled Dimensions - 48 x 37.5 x 5 inches
- Includes easy to fit custom air deflector
- Long lasting durability. Heavy-duty steel construction
But that’s not all this roof rack is all about. It is built with heavy-duty materials, making it a sturdy piece of equipment that can withstand a lot of abuse. So, load up and head out with the ROLA V-Tex.
XCAR Roof Rack System
How’d you like to have a roof rack system that lets you bring not just your luggage along but also a wide variety of sports items as well? Don’t be deceived by the cargo area of this roof rack. It might be narrow, but that only frees up more space for other attachments.
Now, you can attach your kayak or surfboard or bicycle, alongside your regular luggage! This is the most versatile roof rack in this list of roof racks, thanks to its unique design.
CURT 18115 Universal Steel Roof Rack
The CURT 18115 is designed to fit all types of vehicles with its almost square-like shape. This has a very straightforward look with function at a premium over aesthetics. It’s constructed from high strength tubular steel and has 4-inch high walls to keep everything in place while you lug all your cargo from point A to point B.
- ENHANCED SECURITY. This rooftop cargo carrier has 4-inch high walls to keep items securely in place....
- EASY TO USE. Adding cargo space to your vehicle is easy with this rooftop cargo carrier. It frees up...
- UNIVERSAL FIT. This rooftop cargo carrier securely attaches to most roof rack rails, using simple,...
- DURABLE BUILD. This roof rack basket is constructed from tubular steel to promote high strength and...
- EXPANDABLE. Great as a car roof rack, this cargo carrier is expandable. With the separate extension...
If you need a roof rack that functions as it is marketed by the designers, then you should get this one.
Reese 1391300 Explore
Not everyone wants an oversized rack sitting on top of their roof. Some people just want something small but practical like the roof racks on bigger vehicles.
- DIMENSIONS: 18.4 x 37.9 x 9.2 inch
- 125 LB. CAPACITY: Free up space in your vehicle with a roof rack cargo basket that safely and...
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong, high-quality, heavy-duty steel construction with a durable black powder...
- SLEEK, AERODYNAMIC: Angled front windshield resists drag and makes the basket more aerodynamic.
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: Easy assembly and adjustable mounting to most round, square, aero and factory...
Now, the Reese Explore roof rack may look small, but it’s capable of handling 125 lbs of extra cargo for your car. The sleek aerodynamic design makes it look at home on any car on the road today.
Despite being tiny, it’s easy to install this on your own with the most basic tools over the weekend.
Rhino-Rack USA RMCB03
The Rhino-Rack RMCB03 is massive! At almost five feet in length and more than three feet in width, it’s meant to be installed on bigger vehicles. To keep your luggage secure, the height of 6 inches is more than enough to keep everything in place. Add a few nets and tie-downs and you’re set for conquering the wild beyond.
Thanks to its rugged design, it won’t look out of place atop a serious off-road machine in the remotest places on earth!
Thule Canyon XT
Last but not least, we have the Thule Canyon XT. Thule has long been the trusted name in roof racks, thanks to their history of churning out high-quality products that perform well in all types of conditions.
- Wedge-shaped low profile design combines style and function with tapered side walls making it easier...
- Wind fairing is included to help airflow over your cargo. Load capacity 150 pounds. Internal...
- Accessory crossbars (sold separately) allow you to carry additional equipment or stabilize your...
- Fits a broad range of vehicles with versatile mounting hardware and includes T-track mounting for...
- Mounts to all Thule rack systems, round bars and most factory racks (check Thule Buyers guide)
The Canyon XT has a wedge-shaped low profile design with tapered walls to make loading and unloading an easy task. The total weight you can load onto this roof rack is 150 lbs, which should be more than enough to last you at least two weeks out on the road.
Roof racks come in all shapes and sizes. Finding the right one for your car will take a lot of consideration. Here’s hoping that this list will narrow your search down so that you can finally install one in your car.
Will Having A Roof Rack Affect My Vehicle’s Aerodynamic Qualities?
Yes. A roof rack will definitely affect your vehicle’s aerodynamic qualities because it is an aftermarket part. As such, the original car manufacturer didn’t consider this when calibrating their car for optimal efficiency and mileage. The best advice we can give if you have a roof rack is not to place anything there unless you really need to free up space inside your cabin.
How Do Roof Racks Fare Against Harsh Weather Conditions?
This varies based on the construction quality of the roof rack. A steel or aluminum roof rack is more likely to survive a powerful storm than a plastic or fiberglass one. How you install it will also matter, as anything that isn’t tied down securely is sure to get blown away by powerful winds.
Can I Install A Roof Rack If My Car Is Still Under Warranty?
Check with your dealer. This is highly dependent on what is stipulated under your warranty conditions. If some drilling is required, this will void your warranty immediately. Some car dealers also offer to install roof racks without voiding the warranty, so you might want to check that option.
Related Article: Why Do SUVs Have Ridges On The Roof?