The Auto Sunday is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
For new off-roaders, how many times have you wondered how to get a truck unstuck? How many times have you been knee-deep in mud and unable to get out? Has anyone ever told you to get a winch installed?
There are many tips, tricks, and techniques that you can use to get out of tricky situations. This is where you’ll get thoroughly tested as a driver. But the best way how to get a truck unstuck is to install a winch.
Think of a winch as an extra helping hand when you’re out in the woods and traversing unfamiliar territory.
What’s A Winch?
A winch is a basic, mechanical device that has a spool and a crank. Mechanical winches are motorized and are designed to handle great massive loads. Winches can be electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, or powered by an internal combustion drive.
A winch also has a brake to maintain tension when needed and prevent slipping. Most modern winches have a remote to keep you safe while using it.
Best Winch Brands
There are two winch brands that come to mind as our top picks on how to get a truck unstuck with no problems. These winches are highly durable, easy to install, and applicable for a variety of practical purposes. Here are WARN and Superwinch, our top picks for the best products on how to get a truck unstuck.
WARN has been the go-to brand for winches since the 1930s. They have winches for all applications and are used in all sectors. Their winches meet all the stringent standards set by the SAE, J706, and NFPA. No matter how big or small the winch you’re looking for is, there’s bound to be one that WARN has in its range of products.
- Should You Trade SUV For A Car? Practical Pros And Cons
- Are SUVs Or Minivans Safer? Here’s The Truth
- Do All SUVs Have Hitches?
Super Winch is a global company providing high-quality winches since the 70s. They owe their popularity to their continuous drive to create safe, solid winches that are used in many industries all over the world. With their products and reputation, you could say they chose their name right.
Other Notable Winch Brands
Although WARN and Superwinch are listed as our top two, there are still other brands out there competing for the top spot. These products are just as competent as our top two brands. They’re also more affordable, so make sure you look at these products before making a final decision.
Here are some examples:
Braden has been around for 70 years. In that time, they’ve come up with top-notch products that are installed on cranes, trucks, and other heavy vehicles. Their quality has reached a point where they now rival Warn and Superwinch.
DP was established in 1970. They are mostly used in industrial and military vehicles. Because they provide products to the defense sector, DP has managed to capture a large part of the winch market. They also supply winches for government-issued vehicles and the private sector.
Tulsa is one of the oldest winch companies in the world. This company was established in 1929, and although it has changed hands over the years, their level of high-quality manufactured products has not. Tulsa supplies winches for oil and other industrial companies. They also supply the private sector. You could say they have all the bases covered.
Now On To The Top Winches From WARN And Super Winch
We’ve picked the best models from the top two winch brands for you to choose from. These four should cover the most basic needs of each customer niche. If you don’t want to waste time looking for a winch when you’re expecting the best, these are the ones to get.
Let’s start with the WARN 95960, which is rated as the best truck winch in the world. It has a pull rating of 12000 and comes with 80 feet of Spydura Pro synthetic rope. That alone makes this worth every penny spent. Add its practical application potential, and that sticker price looks downright undervalued.
Not yet sold on the idea of shelling out major bucks for this winch? What if we tell you it’s dust resistant and weatherproof? You’re bound to encounter a lot of these things when you’re out mudding, bogging, and roughing it. Making it impervious to damage from these things is the first step to a successful trip!
There’s also a wireless remote that you can use to operate and monitor the winch, making it safer every time you use it. The WARN 95960 deserves the top spot in any list!
- Advanced Wireless Remote operates winch, reads motor temperature, reads up to two additional...
- Designed to keep dust and water out with an IP68 Waterproof Rating
- 2X as durable as previous models
- Delivers 12,000 lb. pull rating or less
- Comes with a 80ft of Spydura Pro Synthetic Rope
Are you on a tight budget but still need the best winch for how to get a truck unstuck? Then get the Super Winch 1595200. This is the best budget winch in the market today.
One thing you have to understand is that you get what you pay for, albeit a superior product when compared to the rest but at a lower cost.
For the price that you’re getting the Super Winch 1595200, you still get a winch with 5.2 horsepower. This is more than enough for light usage. You’ll also get a motor that is completely weather-sealed and resistant to damage from the elements.
Just make sure you monitor this winch when it’s in use and shut it off at the first sign of overheating.
- Weather sealed 5.2 HP motor reduces damage from rain, snow and blowing dust
- Weather sealed solenoid (contactor) reduces damage from rain, snow and blowing dust
- Heavy duty 12 feet rubber hand-held remote; field proven design provides effortless switching
- Heavy duty stainless steel roller fairlead; brushed finish endures weather and wire rope abuse
- Ergonomically shaped free-spool control; easy to grip and effortless to operate
- Are Heavier Cars Better In Rain And Snow?
- Are Big Cars Hard to Drive? Here are Some Truths.
- 15 Pros And Cons Of Heavier Cars
A large majority of off-road vehicles are from Jeep. To help you get out of tricky situations, here’s how to get a truck unstuck with the best Jeep Winch in the market today: the WARN 26502.
This winch is rated at 8,000 lbs, which is more than enough to free you from deep mud. It also comes with 100 feet of wire rope and is regarded as the most trustworthy winch by Jeep owners all over the world.
- low-profile design and separate control box allows for a wide range of mounting options
- powers load in and out via 100 ft of 5/16 in wire rope;electrical controls: contactor
- efficient, 3-stage planetary gear box and automatic direct drive cone brake system
- powerful 4.8 hp series wound motor, with a 8,000 lb pull rating and sliding ring gear freespooling...
- electrical control box and hand-held remote with 12 ft (3.7m) lead
If you’re stuck in a tricky situation, you’ll be glad you made a sizable investment to get this for your Jeep.
- Truck Vs. Pickup: What’s The Difference?
- Are Pickup Trucks Practical? Real World Pros And Cons
- What’s The Difference Between Jeeps And Trucks?
If you’re looking for an electric winch, the Super Winch 1510200 should be more than enough to serve your needs. After all, it is the best electric winch in the market today.
The Super Winch 1510200 can pull 10,000 pounds with its 12 VDC/5.1HP motors. It is also weather-sealed for maximum protection from the elements.
The best thing about Super Winch 1510200 is its two-year warranty. So even though you’re spending less, you know you’re backed by a superior company that truly stands by their product!
- 12 VDC/5.1 hp weather-sealed series wound motor with a 10,000-lb pull rating
- 85' of 3/8" steel wire rope with heavy-duty latched hook and rope thimble and automatic, mechanical...
- 12' rubber handheld remote for safe operating distances
- Weather-sealed solenoid and circuit breaker
- Powder-coated 4-way roller fairlead and a free spooling lever action clutch
- Caring For SUV Tires: What To Do, Why And When
- Can You Put Smaller Tires On An SUV?
- How To Fix Tire Rubbing On A Truck
There are many ways how to get a truck unstuck without using a winch. You should only employ the use of one when it is absolutely necessary. Always analyze the situation, make a careful assessment, and plan accordingly.
Always wear safety gloves and never allow the wire to slip through your hands. Also, it is best to establish no-people zones between your winch and the anchor point. Always put safety as the top priority when employing these devices.
Take time to practice so you can learn better how to get a truck unstuck in an emergency situation.
And last but not least, always remember that every winching situation has a potential for danger.
Can You Tow A Vehicle With A Winch?
No, you shouldn’t. A winch isn’t designed for towing a vehicle behind your own car. Most winches are installed in the front part of the vehicle, so if you’re going to tow a vehicle, you would have to do it driving in reverse. Even tow trucks use winches only for securing a vehicle and not for towing it. So don’t use your winch for towing purposes.
Which Is Better: Steel Cables Or Synthetic Rope?
For heavy-duty applications, use steel cables. If not, get a synthetic rope. Steel cables have been used for as long as winches have been around. They’re very durable and resistant to damage from UV rays. However, they’re more dangerous and constantly need preventive maintenance against rust and corrosion. Synthetic ropes are easier to work with but aren’t as durable. So, take your pick.
Should I Get A Hydraulic Winch Or An Electric Winch?
It depends on your budget and needs. An electric winch is the more common type of winch in the market today. But when compared to a hydraulic winch, they aren’t as powerful and are more prone to overheating. The only drawback to a hydraulic winch is that it is more expensive and is harder to install.